The United States declared its readiness to accept refugees from Russia against the backdrop of war and mobilization
Tens of thousands of Russian men of military age have fled the country to avoid Putin's mobilization for the war in Ukraine. White House says it "welcomes" Russians seeking asylum in the US, reports FoxNews.
White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said the US "welcomes" any Russian citizens seeking asylum in that country after fleeing military conscription. Jean-Pierre made the announcement during a press briefing at the White House.
Tens of thousands of Russian citizens poured into neighboring Eastern European countries.
The White House has made a distinction between the Russian government and the people of Russia.
“We see protests on the streets of Russia, we see people signing petitions, and I think they are sending us a very clear message that this war that Putin started is unpopular,” Jean-Pierre said. “There are people in Russia who don’t want to fight in Putin’s war or die for it.”
“We believe that regardless of nationality, they can apply for asylum in the United States and their application will be considered on a case-by-case basis,” she added. “We welcome all who seek asylum, and they should do so.”
Last week, Putin ordered a partial mobilization of the Russian armed forces and the recruitment of 300 reserve men. This move has resulted in thousands of men trying to leave Russia by any means necessary.
Mongolia, Georgia and Kazakhstan have taken the brunt of the wave of Russian draft-age men leaving the country. Georgian officials said the number of daily border crossings nearly doubled in less than a week.
“About four or five days ago, there were from five to six thousand people from Russia every day, and now their number has increased to about ten thousand,” Georgian Interior Minister Vakhtang Gomelauri told reporters on September 27.
Others who fled to Mongolia had to queue for more than a dozen hours before being let through. One man, Aleksey, told Reuters that he was leaving his wife and children while the call was on.
You may be interested in: top New York news, stories of our immigrants, and helpful tips about life in the Big Apple - read it all on ForumDaily New York.
“We are not afraid, but why should we fight in Ukraine, why? he told the agency. – If other countries attacked Russia, we would fight for our country. But why are we going to Ukraine? For what?"
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- In the occupied territories Ukraine is preparing urgent 'referendums' on joining the Russian Federation: why Russia needs it.
- On September 21, Putin announced the mobilization in the Russian Federation: the Russians have sold out all the tickets abroad and google 'how to break your arm''.
- The first mobilized Russians are already being prepared for shipment to Ukraine: summons to the citizens of Buryatia liable for military service began to issue on the evening of September 21.
- And journalists, under the guise of military commissars, phoned the sons of Peskov and Mishustin to invite them to the military registration and enlistment office: read what the offspring of politicians answered in our material.
- On the evening of September 21, Putin released some of the prisoners foreigners and Ukrainians. British soldier shares gruesome details his captivity.
- At this time, the population of the Russian Federation is fleeing from mobilization by any means. On September 26, the Uruguayan police arrested the head of the presidential bodyguard at the presidential residence on suspicion of participating in scheme to assist possibly hundreds of Russian citizens in illegally obtaining Uruguayan passports.
- Russian authorities are trying to prevent men from leaving the country: Russia deployed a mobile enlistment office on the border with Georgia, and Kazakhstan will extradite Russian draft dodgers to Moscow.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 1 [name] => Miscellaneous [taxonomy] => category [slug] => no_theme)Miscellanea
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13411 [name] => mobilization [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => mobilizatsiya)mobilization
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 27367 [name] => US immigration [taxonomy] => category [slug] => immigraciya-v-ssha)Immigration in the USA
stdClass Object ( [term_id] => 30471 [name] => US asylum [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => ubezhishhe-v-ssha )asylum in the usa
stdClass Object ( [term_id] => 31725 [name] => dodgers [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => uklonisty )deviators
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.