US and EU imposed new sanctions against Russia due to the arrest of Navalny
According to the document in the official EU magazine, personal restrictions from Brussels will apply to Prosecutor General Igor Krasnov, Head of the Investigative Committee Alexander Bastrykin, head of the Federal Penitentiary Service Alexander Kalashnikov and head of the National Guard Viktor Zolotov. It is reported by "RIA News".
The restrictions were imposed under the EU's new global sanctions regime for human rights violations - the first in history. Its development in 2019 was initiated by the head of European diplomacy, Josep Borrell. He also proposed to name him after Navalny, but this idea was rejected.
“The adopted restrictive measures include a travel ban in the EU and an asset freeze for individuals. In addition, individuals and legal entities from the EU are prohibited from providing funds to those listed in the list, ”the document says. The sanctions take effect on the day of publication.
The foreign ministers of the EU countries decided on restrictive measures against the Russians involved in the arrest of Alexei Navalny on February 22. On the eve of Brussels began their registration. Sanctions for the arrest of Navalny were agreed and put into effect in record time - almost a week. For example, a similar process under the first Belarusian sanctions list took 2,5 months.
The Foreign Ministry noted earlier that the European Union is acting on the basis of anti-Russian stereotypes and, contrary to logic, presses on the inoperative sanction "button". The ministry promised to respond to the sanctions of Brussels.
In addition, the US Treasury has imposed restrictions on seven "high-ranking representatives" of the Russian government in the case of Alexei Navalny. According to the representative of the American administration, all the property of these persons discovered in the US jurisdiction will be blocked.
The list includes:
- FSB head Alexander Bortnikov;
- head of the Federal Penitentiary Service Alexander Kalashnikov;
- Prosecutor General Igor Krasnov;
- Deputy Defense Minister Pavel Popov;
- Deputy Defense Minister Alexei Krivoruchko;
- First Deputy Head of the Kremlin Administration Sergei Kiriyenko;
- head of the Kremlin's internal policy department Andrei Yarin.
“In addition, any foreigner who significantly aids transactions with these persons also risks sanctions,” the US added.
These restrictions are in addition to sanctions through the Department of State, Department of Commerce, visa and export restrictions.
The US Department of Commerce has blacklisted organizations from Russia, Germany and Switzerland "for the production of biological and chemical weapons." Among them - 13 commercial companies, including nine in Russia, three in Germany, one in Switzerland. The list also includes three Russian research scientific organizations: the 27th Scientific Center of the Ministry of Defense, the 33rd Central Scientific Research Institute of the Ministry of Defense and the Scientific Research Institute of Organic Chemistry and Technology (GosNIIOKhT). Any export and re-export of products associated with these organizations will be subject to the States' “presumption of denial” licensing regime.
On February 2, a court in Moscow ruled to replace Navalny's suspended sentence in the Yves Rocher case with three and a half years in a general regime colony due to numerous violations of the conditions of the probationary period. The Moscow City Court recognized this decision as legal. Now Navalny will have to spend about two and a half years in the colony.
The European Court of Human Rights refuted allegations that he was being persecuted solely for his political activities: Strasbourg did not recognize the political motives in the Yves Rocher case, although it awarded compensation for house arrest paid by the Russian authorities.
You may be interested in: top New York news, stories of our immigrants and helpful tips about life in the Big Apple - read it all on ForumDaily New York
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- On the morning of August 20, during a flight from Tomsk to Moscow, the founder of the Anti-Corruption Foundation (FBK), Alexei Navalny, felt sick on the plane. The liner made an emergency landing in Omsk, where Navalny was hospitalized in the emergency hospital No. 1, in the toxic intensive care unit. There the politician fell into a coma.
- Ex-FSB officer and opposition politician Gennady Gudkov toldwhy Navalny's associates and other politicians call the version of the involvement of the special services a priority, as well as how and with what the oppositionist could have been poisoned.
- August 21, the wife of Alexei Navalny Julia signed permission to transport her husband for treatment in Germany. On the morning of August 22, Navalny taken by plane to Berlin... He was still in a coma.
- The clinic where Navalny was taken confirmed the assumptions about his poisoning... Clinical studies have indicated a substance from the group of cholinesterase inhibitors.
- Transportation of an opposition politician to Germany on a special medical plane paid for by Russian businessman Boris Ziminwho now lives in the United States.
- In the United States Department of Commerce сообщилиthat Washington has good reason to believe that the research institutes (SRIs) of the Russian Defense Ministry are involved in the development of chemical and biological weapons.
- September 4th German laboratory found traces of Novichok in Navalny's skin, blood and urine samples.
- On September 7, the Charite clinic, where Alexei Navalny was located, released a new message: politics brought out of an artificial coma and began to gradually disconnect from the ventilator.
- On September 10, it became known that Navalny completely recovered, memory and speech returned to him.
- September 15 politician for the first time since poisoning posted a photo on Instagram. The New York Times writes that he intends to return to Russia.
- On September 23rd, the clinic announced that Navalny was discharged... In total, he spent 32 days in a German hospital.
- In November, the US Congress condemned the poisoning of Navalny and called on the United States and the international community to impose sanctions against those involved.
- Mid-December results joint investigation Bellingcat, The Insider and CNN, with the participation of Der Spiegel, revealed that the attempt on the life of Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny in Tomsk was the work of a group of FSB operatives.
- January 18 police took Navalny from passport control at Sheremetyevo airport just after his return from Germany, where he received treatment after poisoning last summer. After that, he was arrested for 30 days.
- On February 2, 2021, the Simonovsky Court of Moscow satisfied the request of the Federal Penitentiary Service and replaced the oppositionist Alexei Navalny suspended sentence in the Yves Rocher case for real... The court found that Navalny had systematically violated the rules of probation. The United States demanded "immediately and without any conditions" to release Alexei Navalny.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12 [name] => In the US [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-ssha)In the U.S.
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5578 [name] => Bulk [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => navalnyj)Bulk
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12836 [name] => Alexey Navalny [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => aleksej-navalnyj)Alexey Navalny
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13334 [name] => In the homeland [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-rodini)At home
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 14720 [name] => anti-Russian sanctions [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => antirossijskie-sanktsii)anti-Russian sanctions
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the United States. We have big plans, we do not want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.