How much food do Americans throw out after Thanksgiving?
Americans throw away $ 165 billion worth of food every year, but the most edible waste falls on Thanksgiving Day - about $ 277 million, according to government figures.
Although sales of whole turkey carcasses for Thanksgiving Day have decreased, it is expected that this year the Americans will still throw out about 90 million kilograms of turkey after Thanksgiving Day. This is indicated by data from the Organization for the Protection of Natural Resources (NRDC), a non-profit organization based in New York.
“At a time when 1 in 8 Americans are starving, taking action to reduce food waste is becoming increasingly urgent,” an NRDC spokesman said in a press release.
Here are some interesting ways in which you can minimize the amount of discarded products:
- Before you go shopping, check the fridge, cupboards and pantry to avoid re-buying the ingredients that are already in stock.
- If you understand that you cannot eat the entire volume of fruits, vegetables and greens you bought, freeze some of them to use later.
- “Using pre-cut vegetables and pre-prepared foods will help reduce food waste,” said Patti Johnson, global food analyst at research firm Mintel.
Some companies that sell already chopped fruits and vegetables use leftovers to make juices or turn them into animal feed or compost. There are hundreds of environmentally friendly ways how you can apply waste.
- Carefully plan the required amount of food for guests. Dinners with a large number of guests imply a variety of dishes on the table. Cooks should keep in mind that it may be worthwhile to ask guests to bring containers with them where they can put leftover food to eat at home and not to throw them in the trash.
- For apple pie or compote, you can buy fruit, the appearance of which is imperfect. Thus, you can get at least a delicious final product and prevent the product from being thrown away by stores.
In addition, according to experts, this situation arises due to the fact that there is virtually no clear labeling of food products in the United States. For example, many products are labeled “sell by” and “use by”, while the former is designed for retailers and does not mean that the product has deteriorated. In addition, individual manufacturers can indicate different dates with their own wording, defining them at their discretion, writes “Interfax".
As the study shows, more than 80% of Americans throw food away before its expiration date due to confusion with the markings.
Previously ForumDaily wrote about how much you can saverefusing restaurant food, and also offered some tips on how to spend the money saved.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 5504 [name] => products [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => produkty)Products
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 7836 [name] => Thanksgiving [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => den-blagodareniya)Thanksgiving
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13992 [name] => Likbez [taxonomy] => category [slug] => poleznaja-informatsija)Educational program
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 16722 [name] => turkey [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => indejka)indica
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the United States. We have big plans, we do not want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.