The article has been automatically translated into English by Google Translate from Russian and has not been edited.
Переклад цього матеріалу українською мовою з російської було автоматично здійснено сервісом Google Translate, без подальшого редагування тексту.
Bu məqalə Google Translate servisi vasitəsi ilə avtomatik olaraq rus dilindən azərbaycan dilinə tərcümə olunmuşdur. Bundan sonra mətn redaktə edilməmişdir.

US citizenship certificate: why is it needed and why an American passport is not enough

An American passport is usually sufficient proof of your US citizenship. But a citizenship certificate may also be needed if you need to show "when" you became a US citizen. Citizen path.

Photo: Shutterstock

A US passport is not enough for some purposes. You may need a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization when trying to apply for certain services and benefits, such as:

  • social Security;
  • driver's license or identity cards;
  • financial assistance to students;
  • employment;
  • passport renewal.

Keeping a certificate of citizenship is a good idea because it does not expire and is direct proof of your citizenship and how it was obtained. USCIS issues a Certificate of Naturalization to permanent residents who have gone through the naturalization process. But individuals who acquire citizenship through their parents usually do not receive a certificate of citizenship. A person must separately apply for it.

On the subject: The rating of the most powerful passports in the world has been published: in what place were the USA and post-Soviet countries

Cases where a US passport may not be enough

1. Update citizenship status in the social security system

Once you become a US citizen, it is recommended that you update your status with the Social Security Administration (SSA). This will give you the benefits:

  • Citizenship status can affect employment opportunities. Some jobs are available only to US citizens. Even if you show your passport to the employer, the problem can still arise. If your records are not updated, the state employment system E-Verify may mark you as a non-citizen.
  • Citizenship status can affect disability benefits. Some disability benefits are available only to US citizens. By changing your civil status with SSA, you are guaranteed to receive all of the disability, retirement, and social security benefits to which you are entitled as a US citizen.

To update your SSA citizenship status, you will need a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization. To request an update, fill out the form SS-5 and send it in person to the local welfare office.

2. Student Federal Financial Aid

You must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen to receive federal student assistance. Federal student aid may include grants, scholarships, study jobs, and loans. These are important benefits available through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA application requires proof of your citizenship in order to receive these benefits.

You may be interested in: top New York news, stories of our immigrants, and helpful tips about life in the Big Apple - read it all on ForumDaily New York.

A photocopy of the original Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization may be submitted along with the application. Have the original document in your files in case your school requires you to review it.

3. US Passport Renewal

You are likely to have problems renewing your US passport if you answer "No" to any of the following questions:

  • Do you have a valid US passport?
  • Were you issued a passport at the age of 16 or older?
  • Has it been released within the last 15 years?
  • Does your current passport show your current name or a name that you can document?

If you answer "No" to any of these questions, the process for applying for a new passport is slightly different. You will need to provide additional documents to prove your US citizenship status. This is most easily satisfied with a certificate of citizenship or a certificate of naturalization.

How to apply for a certificate of citizenship

You can apply for a Certificate of Citizenship using Form N-600, Application for a Certificate of Citizenship. When submitting the form N-600 Submit the following to USCIS:

  • Current USCIS registration fee.
  • Passport photographs.
  • Birth certificate .
  • Birth certificate for US citizen parents.
  • Proof that the parent is a US citizen and when it was obtained.

Depending on how the applicant acquired citizenship, additional supporting documents will be required for the application.

Read also on ForumDaily:

Where to go to work so as not to be afraid of the crisis: four areas that are not afraid of a recession

A popular dietary supplement almost killed a man: he took it on the recommendation of a doctor

What retirement income is tax deductible

Miscellanea Educational program
Subscribe to ForumDaily on Google News

Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information. 

1176 requests in 2,645 seconds.