Russian prosecutors have requested 18 years in prison for an American accused of espionage
Russian prosecutors have requested 18 years in prison as a punishment for American Paul Whelan, a former marine who is tried in Moscow on charges of espionage. Writes about it "Voice of America".
It is also reported that the court decision will be announced on June 15.
Paul Whelan, a U.S. citizen who also holds British, Canadian, and Irish passports, was detained in December 2018 and charged with espionage.
Moscow claims that Whelan was caught red-handed. Whelan denies the charges against him and claims to be a victim of provocation.
Whelan, who was already 2019 years old in prison in 50, accused the prison authorities of having mistreated him and refused him medical attention during court hearings.
The Russian authorities accused Whelan of simulating health problems in order to draw attention to his case.
As ForumDaily wrote earlier:
- December 28, 2018 in Moscow FSB officers detained US citizen Paul Whelan on suspicion of espionage. At the same time, Russia refused to explain what became the basis for the arrest and making of such charges.
- Detained brother David Whelan claims Paul came to Russia for his friend’s wedding, and insists on the relative's innocence.
- In April 2019, it turned out that Whelan is also a citizen of Great Britain and Canada. He was born in Canada to two British subjects - Edward and Rosemary Whelan. He also received Canadian citizenship by birth right in the country, but his brother, David Whelan, does not know whether Paul retained Canadian citizenship. Subsequently, the man moved to the United States, where he also received citizenship.
- In May, Whelan told the judge that wants to complain about his investigator from the security service of the FSB of Russia, arguing that “his actions, insults, harassment and threats to life are unprofessional and should not be allowed. “This is revenge for sanctions, there is absolutely no certainty in the case,” Whelan said in court.
- Early July Whelan complained about health. According to the diplomatic mission, Whelan is provided with basic medical care in jail, but it is not enough. The Russian side rejected the request for admission of an external doctor to the American for consultation.
- According to the brother of the detainee, David Whelan, Paul was friends with the FSB officer Ilya Yatsenko for many years. According to David, it’s Ilya could set up an american.
- The brother of an American detained in Russia spoke about Paul Whelan.
Read also on ForumDaily:
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 211 [name] => spying [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => shpionazh)espionage
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 12523 [name] => Russia and the USA [taxonomy] => post_tag [slug] => rossiya-i-ssha)Russia and the US
stdClass Object ([term_id] => 13334 [name] => In the homeland [taxonomy] => category [slug] => novosti-rodini)At home
Let's face the crisis together and support each other
Thank you for staying with us and trusting! Over the past 5 years, we have received a lot of grateful feedback from readers, whom our materials have helped to arrange life after moving to the United States. We have big plans, we do not want to stop or slow down the pace of work. Even now…
The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively affected our income, and in order to stay afloat, we have to ask YOU for support. We will be grateful for any amount and will make every effort to continue to publish news and a lot of useful information just as quickly.
Thank you for being with us!
Always yours, ForumDaily!
Security of contributions is guaranteed by the use of the highly secure Stripe system.
Do you want more important and interesting news about life in the USA and immigration to America? Subscribe to our page in Facebook. Choose the "Display Priority" option and read us first. Also, don't forget to subscribe to our РєР ° РЅР ° Р »РІ Telegram - there are many interesting things. And join thousands of readers ForumDaily Woman и ForumDaily New York - there you will find a lot of interesting and positive information.